Minister Flanagan launches Ireland 2016 Centenary Programme in the United States7/1/16
Minister Flanagan launches Ireland 2016 Centenary Programme in the United States
- Over 200 political, economic and cultural events will take place across the USA
- Irish Embassy in Washington and Irish Consulates in New York, Boston, Chicago, Austin, Atlanta and San Francisco will play leading roles
- Minister also launches programme for Greater New York region where 70 events will take place
Today (Thursday) in New York, the Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade, Charlie Flanagan TD, launched the programme of events taking place across the USA to commemorate the 1916 Rising and the programme for the Greater New York Region.
Speaking from New York, Minister Flanagan stated:
“A consistent feature of the century since the 1916 Rising is the importance of the relationship between Ireland and the United States. It is significant that America is the only foreign country expressly referenced in the Proclamation of the Irish Republic, which itself has echoes of the American Declaration of Independence. Five of the seven signatories to the Proclamation spent periods of time here that deeply influenced their thinking and actions. It is therefore fitting that a rich programme of events commemorating the Rising will take place this year, right across the United States.”
Part of the Ireland 2016 Global & Diaspora Programme, the Centenary Programme in the United States is being organised and supported by the Embassy of Ireland in Washington, Culture Ireland and the Irish Consulates General in New York, Boston, Chicago, Austin, Atlanta and San Francisco, together with many partner organisations.
The Minister continued:
“The United States is home to the greatest concentration of our Diaspora and the ties are of extraordinary depth and breadth. I know the USA 2016 Programme is going to resonate with Ireland’s diaspora and friends right across the United States – that is evident already from the enthusiasm shown about today’s launches and in the hugely positive reaction from community, cultural, academic and business groups in putting these ambitious programmes together.
“I want to congratulate Ireland’s Embassy in Washington as well as the Consulate General in New York, Boston, Chicago, Austin, Atlanta and San Francisco for the interesting and diverse programmes they have put together, featuring over 200 events, to mark this monumental occasion of the centenary of the Easter Rising.”
The Minister launched the nationwide 2016 programme in the Irish Consulate in midtown Manhattan in the morning. In the evening, the New York metropolitan region launch will take place in Pier A, Battery Park – the only remaining historic pier in the city of New York and a Manhattan landmark which looks towards Ellis Island where millions of Irish emigrants first stepped onto the shores of the United States of America.
The Greater New York Region 2016 Commemorative Programme features an array of over 70 educational, historical, cultural and commemorative events taking place from the beginning of January.
The Minister commented that:
“It is fitting that the launch of the New York 2016 Commemorative Programme will take place at Pier A this evening, as on 24th April, Pier A will host one of the largest events on the New York 2016 calendar - a celebration of the Irish and New York communities featuring cultural and artistic displays and performances. This will be a highlight in a rich and varied programme that promises a celebration of Ireland, past, present and future.”
7 January 2015
Notes for Editors:
- The Ireland 2016 Centenary Programme, led by Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht, Heather Humphreys, T.D., is a year-long programme of activity to commemorate the events of the 1916 Rising, to reflect on our achievements over the last 100 years and to look towards Ireland’s future. Full details of the Ireland 2016 programme is available at www.ireland.ie
- Over 200 commemorative events will take place across the United States in the course of the year, including over 70 events in New York. The centrepiece will be a three week Irish Arts Festival taking place at the Kennedy Centre in Washington DC from 16 May to 5 June which will celebrate a century of Irish arts and culture.
- Other events taking place across the US include:
- Nationwide: Tour of ‘The Plough & the Stars’ (Abbey Theatre)
- Newport Beach, California: Irish spotlight at the 2016 Newport Beach Film Festival
- Minnesota: The Irish Fair of Minnesota will sponsor an Irish Arts Week centred on the Easter Rising
- Notre Dame, Indiana: Gala premiere of ‘The Irish Rebellion’ film produced by the University of Notre Dame
- Boston, Massachusetts: ‘A Terrible Beauty is Born’ conference hosted by Boston College
- New York: Landmark conference in April at Glucksman Ireland House and a pioneering exhibition at the American Irish Historical Society
- Waco, Texas: Writer Sebastian Barry and historian Prof. Roy Foster will participate in an Easter Rising Centenary Symposium at Baylor University
- More details of the US programme are available here: https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/usa/our-role/commemorations-in-the-us/ireland-2016-usa/
- Details of the full Ireland 2016: Global and Diaspora Programme (which continues to be updated) are available on www.ireland.ie or www.dfa.ie
- Watch the Ireland 2016 Global and Diaspora Programme video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JENtMufzQU