Cookies on the DFA website

We use cookies to give the best experience on our site while also complying with Data Protection requirements. Continue without changing your settings, and you'll receive cookies, or change your cookie settings at any time.

What to do if your Passport is lost stolen or damaged

If your passport has been lost, stolen or damaged, you must:

  • Submit a new application, ensuring you complete Section 6 of the application form, explaining how your previous passport was lost/stolen or damaged
  • Have it witnessed and stamped by a Garda

If you lose two or more passports, it may restrict the period of validity for your next passport and it may not be possible to receive your passport in less than 15 working days.

What if I lose my Passport Card or it is stolen?

The details of all lost or stolen Passports are reported by the Passport Service to Interpol which means they are no longer valid for travel. When reapplying for your new card you should indicate the lost, theft or damage of your Passport Card on the relevant section of the online application form. If you are not applying for a new card you should notify the passport service by completing the contact form.

If your passport is lost or stolen abroad, please refer to our consular advice.


Do not, under any circumstances, try to travel on a passport/passport card that has been reported as lost or stolen.